Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Elf Story.....VCM No. 5




Well I this will be the last VCM before the "big day" so, I saved the "big collection" until last. 
This is my ginormous collection of Panoonies....panoonies? you say, what in the heck is a panoonie? In my world in my head that's what they're called. 

Here's how it all began. My sister and I, who is much like me in the imagination department, lived in our own little world growing up. We would create a whole fantasy story around any object that we found of interest....well, the lucky object on that day was the  knee hugger elf sitting a top the delicate plastic berries, of the gold glittered bell, of the fake mistletoe hanging in the living room doorway of my parents house. I distinctly remember the day we discovered the little fellow and thinking that he couldn't be an elf, they're only in the North Pole....so somehow we came up with the name panoonie. Since that day in the early 70's that is what they've been known as...at least in my family...
Well, you all know how it goes from there...a family faux pas, becomes a little inside joke, then becomes a silly little gift until it becomes a full blown collection.....so every year my sis and I exchange Panoonies and slip them to eachother whenever we find them.
I bring you panoonie ville.

This is a very special Christmas for my guys  they are very excited because as of yesterday they have a new mayor....Judi of the vintage hope chest, sent me the best gift giveaway of all....a leader for my elves....he's larger than life and already they've gathered for his inauguration.  They gang says thanks Judi.....and happy VCM to all! and to our wonderful host Joan thank you for bringing us all together to share our vintage Christmas  memories and treasures.......wishing everyone has a blessed Merry Christmas~

      The new mayor!
 Don't forget to join the Silver Sunday party list starting the first Sunday of the New Year.....


15 comments:

  1. I enjoyed my visit to Panoonieville! I've always loved those little guys, and actually started my collection this year. That was a great story on the history of the panoonie, and that huge one is awesome! I think kneehuggers should be known as panoonies from now on!
    Happy VCM and Merry Christmas!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that Panoonieville is right over there next to that other ville. I love your little elves and it's wonderful how they came about. You and your sister were awfully kind to adopt the little one and give him a big family.
    Merry Christmas!
    ~~hugs~~

    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny story, cute collection! ~ Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are adorable, I think Hallmark actually has one of those with a book out this year for collectors. I am sure I just saw one there!
    Love your collection.
    Hugs,
    Margaret B

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol..love your Panoonie story, do they only come out during the holidays or are they out all year long? Hail the Mayor!!
    Merry Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way your elves look grouped together. I wasn't even aware of vintage elf collectibles until I started seeing them on blogs this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to move to panoonieville!! However I don't think I'm limber or cute enough! These guys and girls are way too cute ... looks like they might be multiplying on their own during the spring and summer ... if ya know what I mean ; )

    xo
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love you little world of panoonies!Thank you for sharing your family story! And luck guys have a new mayor!

    Thank you so much for participating in Vintage Christmas Mondays this season! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you! xo Joan, your hostess

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a cute collection! thanks for sharing with us...have a merry merry holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just want you to know I featured the panoonies in my final recap of Vintage Christmas Monday! xo Joan, your hostess

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have 2 of those that were my grandmas..now they have a name :) Great collection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My MIL gave us two on our first married Christmas. I admit I wasn't too crazy about them amidst our shiny ornaments then, but thirty-four holidays later I look forward to seating them cozily together on our tree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So that's where those little guys from my childhood wound up! In your Panoonieville. Well, I'm gonna buy some new ones soon - too much a part of childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I forgot to tell you I am going to do the silver Sundays with you!
    Hugs,
    Margaret B

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just found your blog via anything goes! Your elves certainly have stayed in good shape over the years! Must be all of those crunches! TEE HEE! I'm going to make that one of my New Years Resolutions ~ more crunches! Thanks for sharing.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.....