Sunday, January 30, 2011

Joining Jill on the Porch

Hello all from snow bound NJ............
I'm joining Jill on the porch today, all be it a snowy one.
... standing on the front porch looking out into the street...15" of SNOW! 
That is what I woke up to early Thursday morning. A beautiful blanket of white laying gently over the whole town...nothing is more peaceful than sipping my coffee enjoying the peace and quiet of a snowy morning. 
Well, that lasted all of 20minutes, the dog needed to out. He's a geriatric lab with shaky hips at best....so,  out came the boots,gloves, hat and shovel. Jumped in full force in my pajamas.
 Ummmm....do you know that 15+ of snow is not so easy to shovel especially with an impatient old dog waiting for you to clear a path to the yard. Let's just say...that was just the beginning of the clean up. 
Within a few hours the peace and quiet had turned to shovels, snowblowers and plows. We've been cleaning up for days now! 
Now it's 4 days later and I think I have a severe case of cabin fever and couch potato-itis.  So to feed my fever, or is it feed my cold, never really sure which, I concocted this yummiest of delights.
  So grab a porch swing and listen up....it's easy, it's healthy and (beware) it's addicting.
Roasted Root Veggies
1. First you'll need any, and as many, root veggies you like. I use, in no particular measure, sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, brussel sprouts and butternut squash. Peel and coarsley chop.
 2. Grab Grammas cast iron skillet, and the golden ingredient....Wegman's Basting Oil
drizzle this precious elixir over the cut up veggies you've spread out in the skillet, toss and pop the whole thing in the oven at 475degrees.  Roast for at least and hour or more depending on how crunchy you like your veggies. Your taste buds will thank you for this...and just think it's entirely healthy!
 Thanks for stopping by my snowy porch! 

Porch Club



20 comments:

  1. Love reading your blog, Don't feel bad there is another storm headed this way tomorrow afternoon, I'm sure once it hits here it soon will be where you are. I am so done with snow, ice, and winter...Stay Warm.

    Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth!!! We have a big snow headed for us on Tuesday. I bet you guys are about done with the idea of snow...but your veggies look so yummy, I'll have to look for the basting oil, I've not heard of it, but I love this idea!!!
    xo,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only you could make a cold snow covered porch and swing appear soooooo inviting!! I'll be right over with a hot chocolate to swing in the snow ; )
    Then we can pull each other around on sleds ... maybe Duncan would help now that he's relieved himself ?!

    I'm happy you've joined in ... wouldn't be the same without ya!

    xo
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my roasted veggies! Boy, that sure is a lot of snow. We don't see stuff like that in East Texas. We love our dogs, don't we? Mine are lying right here beside me. You'll see your porch soon, hon, minus 15 inches of snow!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, just popped over from Jill's Porch at Gypsy Brocante... looks like you get the kind of snow we do here in Utah... I am ready for Spring!... Love your sweet dog...and your veggies sound delish!... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. LoVe YOUR POST!*!*! I hear you about "Cabin-Fever"... The aroma of "good cooking" - somehow helps... Weather Prediction here in Wisconsin - 3 day Snow Storm is Brewing - AGAIN!!!
    "Spring Will Come"...
    Jeanine, ChiPPy!-SHaBBy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't envy you having to deal with all that snow. We got lucky and had a couple of days with temps in the 60's, but temps are going back down with 34 predicted high on Wed. :(
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your post and before you know it that porch swing will be ready to have you sit and enjoy, meanwhile your recipe sounds great, so stay cozy and warm! Blessings and Hugs Marilou

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW... so much snow...we are expecting another big snowfall in the next day or two and I am so not looking forward to it!! Those root veggies are to die for and they are the perfect complement to a yucky outside....staying cozy inside and filling your tummy with goodness!! Keep warm this week xOxO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the veggies sound yummy. Send me some of your snow. I am still up for at least one more big one. We might get one here Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth, roasted root vegetables are a favorite side here. And they are a healthy choice! Sorry you have to contend with all this snow this winter. I can't imagine. We've had temps in the 70s lately, but the weather man says that's about to change again. Tuesday it will be back in the teens. Burrrr!
    FYI ~ My sweet little girl arrived safely. I've already been enjoying this charmer. She is perfection, and I'm so thrilled to have her. Thank you!
    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, the snow! Thank goodness your fur baby has you to clear a path. ♥ And I do relate to the days on end....I've literally been snowbound up until a week ago...it's a dangerous slippery slope getting off this ridge so I just don't even try depending on how bad it is.

    Those veggies look fabulous...I must look for that basting oil....not sure I've seen it. Does it have a particular flavor to it? Would love to know.

    I'm visiting for Porch Club Monday..I'd love to have you drop by my porch for a visit!

    Hugs,
    Stephanie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sick of the white stuff. But your pictures are pretty and your sweet lab is a sweetie. I love reading your blog, too. Those veggies look divine! I've never heard of that oil. I'll be looking for it though! ~Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are you sick of snow yet! I am and we haven't had near as much as you guys! Every time we get a flake or two they call off school around here! The kids will be going all summer!
    Theresa
    aka:tot

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...your snow scene out your window is so much prettier than mine! We are getting another foot this week...ugh!

    With a few snow days already my son thinks he'll be in school on his birthday which is 6/29!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Beth,
    A little bit snow is nice in winter - but not that much. I am happy that we live in a area without so many snow. I would prefer to have spring now. I guess, your doggie, too.
    Your roasted vegetable looks delicious.
    Stay warm. Greetings,
    Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  17. 15" of snow and here I am crying that we might get 1" by the end of the week :) Stay warm my friend, will we see you this Spring? Sure hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll sit on your swing if you sit in my chair! Baby it's cold outside. I am going to try make some good veggies this week. I love stews this time of year as well!! Thanks new friend I will be sure and follow you on this blog and through your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ummm, roasted veggies sound delicious. I'm north of you in New York and we're getting pounded with more snow today. Well over a foot more to add to what's already on the ground. Stay warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful pics...I especially love the swing. :-) I love roast veggies and I'm really enjoying your blog! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.....